Minutes for a Wednesday night conference call, January 12, 2005
- Need a clear focus and mission
- Free Culture as a "Tech" interest group
- Tech has started the changes that our group stands for
- ...yet we don't want to concentrate ourselves solely on technology and be pigeonholed as geeks
- Environmentalism: we need to have something so memorable and applicable that everyone can understand it and grasp the concept
- Breaking the law
- We want guiding principles that will express our desire to work within the law to bring new creative and cultural potential to others, and yet have the freedom to oppose the law (e.g. civil disobedience) if necessary.
- Drafting a mission statement for "external consumption"
- Legislator/press friendly
- Delegating responsibility: should the press team or some other committee create a draft?
- Some people will work on a draft via basecamp for review on the Sunday call
- Mission statement as a guide to the modus operandi?
- We have been/should be using a system where, if an activity meets several of our interest areas, we should pursue it
- The mission statement should mosly act as a "bumper sticker" to identify us by, and sometimes help influence our focus
As we mentioned, the next meeting will be the Sunday conference call, at 3pm EST. The agenda for that call is working on the General Purpose Pamphlet and, by extension, the Activist Packet, checking in on the Mission Statement, and whatever else we think of.