Archive:2005-01-19

From FreeCulture.org
(Redirected from 2005-01-19)
Jump to: navigation, search

Minutes for the conference call on January 19, 2005.

Mission Statement

  • Difference between the mission statement and manifesto?
    • Mission statement is for the public, like grant organizations and legislators. Should be timeless, more general information than a call to arms.
    • Free Culture Manifesto calls people to action, and is targeted more at rallying students. Should be rewritten so it's less time-specific, sharper, more concise.

Pending Projects and Target Dates

  • Activist Packet
    • How many are we printing?
      • It's hard to say without more knowledge of the demand and new organizations
    • Edit Propaganda, Fliers, etc.
      • Text propaganda: revise & improve text, put text in graphical format
      • Fliers already in graphical format: generalize, clean up, convert
      • All graphics should be available in The GIMP (xcf), Photoshop, and one or more of the following: GIF/PNG/TIFF/Targa (tga)
        • We should narrow down and decide on formats
    • Content for the CD/DVD
      • DVD officially on backburner for now, probably will not be included in first activist packet.
      • We should eventually make a Free Culture video, using clips from lectures & presentations, possibly interviews with us & others. Mike at Colby will start planning.
      • CD on hold until text & graphics are actually ready to go.
  • General Purpose Pamphlet to be completed by the end of January.
    • Text needs revision
    • Needs to be put in graphical format
      • We need more graphic artists.
  • Free Culture Manifesto
    • Needs revising. Gavin will have revisions ready for Friday's chat.

FC Tour

  • Railer is a band that raised awareness about e-voting issues, and are interested in helping with the tour
  • Have Colin write some stuff for us to use in a back-to-school update on the announce list

Merchandise

  • Creative Commons frisbees is only FC merch at this moment, currently only available at Downhill Battle store.
  • We need our own store (including a system to accept donations) and more merchandise.
  • Giant Robot Printing has a design related to the "Commonists" -- maybe a good match for printing FC merch.

Mailing Lists

  • announce
    • Takes over the news list; news list will be migrated to announce, deleted
    • Low-traffic, one-way announcements of big events and big changes -- should not be more than about once a month
      • Activism: call your Senator, sign this petition, boycott this, etc.
      • Big events: major lectures, presentations, etc.
      • Big changes: new FC.o campaigns, major changes to Web site, etc.
    • Sign-up people who attend events, etc. and are interested in learning, but not the heavy traffic the discuss list can bombard you with
      • Not really for people starting clubs... they should be on other lists for that
  • pressteam List (does not yet exist)
    • For the press team
  • press
    • For press releases, information for reporters
  • webteam
    • For the webteam, changes to the website
  • art
    • Should this become "artteam" in keeping with naming conventions?

International Issues

  • Quoting the Constitution leaves out other countries
    • U.S. laws are local ordinances which may not have much resonance outside our borders
  • Could focus more on international stratieges
    • Transnational issues like WIPO, FTAA
    • Non-U.S. issues like EU software patents
  • We should work in parallel with people in other nations who want to develop Free Culture as it applies to their laws and situations
    • FC USA can't adapt our work to non-U.S. issues since we don't know the situations there, but int'l FC groups could. FC USA can still work on multinational problems.
  • Recruitment could go a long way to drawing international (and local) students in.

Committee Assignments

These are not real committees per se, just people tapped to fulfill the following duties for the rest of the semester, until a permanent structure is implemented. Feel free to volunteer with any listed here, especially the Web team or the open access project. If there's something else very important that you think needs someone permanently on top of it, feel free to suggest it on a mailing list or conference call.

External Contacts

  • Nelson assigned Ben to contact IPac when Nelson was in Washington, which Ben has begun to do.
  • Nick has not yet contacted Mozilla, but plans to.

Next Meeting(s)

  • Office Hours: Friday: 8 PM EST
    • Everyone come work on the wiki and discuss changes in IRC
    • Work on: manifesto, activist packet, general purpose packet
  • Sunday Conference Call, 3 PM EST as usual
Meeting minutes and logs

2005-01-02 · 2005-01-03 · 2005-01-04 · 2005-01-06 · 2005-01-08 · 2005-01-12 · 2005-01-16 · 2005-01-19 · 2005-01-22 · 2005-01-23 · 2005-01-25 · 2005-01-26 · 2005-01-28 · 2005-01-30 · 2005-01-31 · 2005-02-02 · 2005-02-06 · 2005-02-13 · 2005-02-20 · 2005-02-27 · 2005-03-02 · 2005-03-06 · 2005-03-13 · 2005-03-16 · 2005-03-20 · 2005-03-23 · 2005-03-27 · 2005-03-30 · 2005-04-03 · 2005-04-10 · 2005-04-17 · 2005-04-24 · 2005-05-01 · 2005-05-08 · 2005-05-15 · 2005-05-22 · 2005-05-29 · 2005-06-01 · 2005-06-05 · 2005-06-06 · 2005-06-10 · 2005-06-12 · 2005-06-15 · 2005-06-15/Chatlog · 2005-06-19 · 2005-06-26 · 2005-07-03 · 2005-07-10 · 2005-07-17 · 2005-07-24 · 2005-07-31 · 2005-08-01 · 2005-08-07 · 2005-08-14 · 2005-08-17 · 2005-08-21 · 2005-08-28 · 2005-09-04 · 2005-09-11 · 2005-09-18 · 2005-09-24 · 2005-10-02 · 2005-10-09 · 2005-10-16 · 2005-10-23 · 2005-10-30 · 2005-11-06 · 2005-11-13 · 2005-11-16 · 2005-11-20 · 2005-11-27 · 2005-12-04 · 2005-12-11 · 2005-12-14 · 2005-12-18 · 2005-12-18 board meeting · 2005-12-21 · 2005-12-21 board meeting · 2005-12-23 board meeting · 2005-12-27 board meeting · 2006-01-01 · 2006-01-02 · 2006-01-07 · 2006-01-09 · 2006-01-22 · 2006-01-25 · 2006-02-12 · 2006-02-13 · 2006-03-02 · 2006-03-15 · 2006-03-22 · 2006-03-26 · 2006-03-29 · 2006-04-02 · 2006-04-09 · 2006-04-26 · 2006-05-07 · 2006-05-12 · 2006-05-14 · 2006-05-17 · 2006-08-16 · 2006-09-13 · 2006-09-17 · 2006-09-17/raw log · 2006-09-20 · 2006-09-20/raw log · 2006-09-27 · 2006-10-18 · 2006-10-18/transcript · 2006-10-25 · 2006-11-01 · 2006-11-08 · 2006-12-06 · 2006-12-06/Log · 2007-01-17 · 2007-01-21 · 2007-01-24 · 2007-02-07 · 2007-02-28 · 2007-02-28/Log · 2007-03-08 · 2007-03-21 · 2007-05-25 · 2007-06-29 · 2007-07-15 · 2007-07-15/log · 2007-07-17 · 2007-07-17/log · 2007-07-22 · 2007-07-22/log · 2007-07-29 · 2007-07-29/log · 2007-08-01 · 2007-08-05 · 2007-08-05/log · 2007-08-07 · 2007-08-07/log · 2007-08-08 · 2007-08-08/log · 2007-08-12 · 2007-08-12/log/bylaws · 2007-08-12/log/tools · 2007-08-14 · 2007-08-14/log · 2007-08-16 · 2007-08-16/log · 2007-09-03 · 2007-09-03/log · 2007-09-05 · 2007-09-05/log · 2007-09-09 · 2007-09-20 · 2007-10-07