- brainygrlz: Elisabeth Strawser-Booth @ UF
- paulproteus|lapt: Asheesh Laroia @ JHU
- skyfaller: Nelson Pavlosky @ Swarthmore
- JustinWikinator: Justin @ Carleton in Ottawa
- CrimsonNinjaGirl: Christine Xu @ Harvard
- elpresidente: Dave @ Hamilton
- mllerustad: Karen @ Claremont
- abenn: Alex Benn @ Swarthmore
- cwilkin: Christopher Wilkinson @ University of Notre Dame
- poningru: Eldo Varghese @ UF
- paulproteus|lapt: Asheesh Laroia @ JHU. He is the Creative Commons tech intern.
- skyfaller: Nelson Pavlosky @ Swarthmore. He will be working at http://warnewsradio.org, a citizen journalism project at Swarthmore College
- JustinWikinator: Justin @ Carleton in Ottawa. He has a Summer of Code position with Inkscape. He also will be doing a few lightning talks on FC-related topics at Ottawa's Open Source Weekend www.osw.ca
- CrimsonNinjaGirl: Christine Xu @ Harvard. She is working at the Berkman Center for Internet Law and Society
- elpresidente: Dave @ Hamilton. He will be working with Save the Children in Westport, CT.
- mllerustad: Karen @ Claremont. She will be visiting with Nelson in Philadelphia.
- Sign http://wiki.freeculture.org./index.php/Summit_2006_Attendees
- http://freeculture.org/blog/ has two posts on it
- Many things worked properly, some didn'twork at all. People were pleased withthe food.
- Problems: not planned for enough ahead of time to get space reserved. Organization was lax on Saturday.
- Would any schools like to volunteer to hold the next national summit?
- Start planning now, preferably at an East Coast school,
- Having it at a West Coast school would build up the West Coast chapters: funding to cover airfare from grantmakers. Is the chapter strong enough to hold a national summit? Will it still be running fine when Karen returns from Copenhagen?
- Karen will ask her people at Claremont whther they want to host the national summit next March, so we can start planning way in advance. Backup is suggested in case plane ticket funding doesn't work out
- Alternate national summit host: Harvard. Also, have more regional summits. Alternate national summits between East and West Coasts, and have regional events in the fall
- Other problems with summit:
- Only people who flew in or drove in to the summit from great distances stayed the whole time. Everyone else came late or left early.
- There was no recognition for people who do things nationally
- Pirate party room might have been too big. Suggestion: get a well-known DJ to spin CC tracks
- There should have been maps and schedules; nametags at registration; sign-in (people felt ok checking in and out because it was informal, and checked out because they felt it was disorganized). Someone should have always been on-call for housing; there should have been more dedicated/assigned jobs.
- Conclusion: More planning will fix our problems
- cwilkin and paulproteus|lapt and others have been working on moving the website and mailing lists to a new web host that ostensibly sucks less
- Mail forwarders have been lost. If you used to have an @freeculture.org mail forwarding address, tell paulproteus|lapt and he'll reinstate it. All of the board members had mail forwarders and need restored to board mailing list.
- The Wiki would like a nice face/design, like the one at the creative commons wiki: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Main_Page?action=edit
What do we want to work on over the summer
- FC.o should help all chapters develop good activities fair booths.
- Start organizing frosh events now. Try to get information into the freshman orientation bulletins and packets.
- Get FC chapters propaganda for the fall
Agenda for next meeting
1) Preparing people for their activities fairs in the fall
2) Looking for other opportunities to get chapters rolling the second people arrive on their campuses, such as infiltrating orientation sessions. Librarians will often be cooperative. Cultural events outreach. Looking for other opportunities to get chapters rolling the second people arrive on their campuses, such as infiltrating orientation sessions, things that computer clubs might be able to help with.
3) Other summer plans for FC.o
4) COME ON TIME
5) Email out a link to the IRC page including a mention in the email that it includes a link to a web chat thing.