Archive:2005-02-13

From FreeCulture.org
Jump to: navigation, search

Agenda and minutes for the Sunday, 13 Feb 2005 conference call

The agenda and minutes for other meetings are available on the Meetings page.

Agenda

Agenda by Gavin

Open access

EU software patents

  • Their fate may be decided next week. This may be our last chance to speak up.
    • Update: The Dutch have decided to fight this. Good sign. -- Gavin 10:43, 11 Feb 2005 (EST)
  • Determine our response to this document from the FFII (please read)
    • Call for Action II
    • Do we support this? If so, do we want to sign on as FC.o, as individual chapters, and/or as individuals?

Video project

Status update

  • Who has submitted footage?
    • I don't think we're going to be able to submit footage on this timeline. Sorry. -- Gavin 17:48, 10 Feb 2005 (EST)

Orphan works RFC

Status update

  • site
  • The Copyright Office did this at the request of Orrin Hatch and Howard Berman, usually arch-enemies. What gives?

Updating chapter list

FC.o licenses

There is a real problem with the Creative Commons in that they can be mutually exclusive. For example, the terms of Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike prevent you from mixing with works licensed under Attribution-ShareAlike. Hopefully, this will be addressed by CC in the future, and perhaps some solution can be found. However, for now, we should probably make a point of licensing FC.o content unter Attribution only, to make sure it can find the widest audience. Let's discuss.

Blogging

There's a backlog of stuff-to-blog building up. The blog can be a powerful tool, since it's relatively widely read. How can break this bottleneck? (translation: Who wants to start blogging more?)

Minutes

Minutes by Rebekah

Attendance: Rebekah, Nick, Luke, Nelson, Andy, Ben Li, Amanda, Gavin, Daniel, Mike

Note: Please read the agenda before a call!

Budapest Initiaitve

  • We should decide whether or not to sign on as group; individual chapters and members can decide to sign on individually.
  • How should we blog? Should we post about all these initiatives at once, or individually
  • After Budapest contact Open Society Institute
  • Consensus on signing on to Budapest initiative
  • Luke to contact Open Society Institute
  • Blog about Budapest--in blog post note that schools and individuals can sign on
  • Series of blog posts about OA

Geneva Declaration

  • Less positive reactions--reactions to language, "intellectual property", etc
  • Gavin notes: Language less relevant, as this is meant for developing nations, translated into multiple languages, proposed by Argentina and Brazil.
  • Tabled until next time

Switching license for FC.o to JUST Attribution license

  • CC to talk with us on Tues
  • If you can/want to be on call Tues post on the wiki
  • Nelson: better to have just a few reps rather than whole gang of us
  • Gavin: share-alike licenses not compatible
  • Now we're licensed under most restrictive license, save a "no derivatives" license
  • We should try to standardize the attrib licenses
  • Compatibility problem: We're should be just attrib now, because commercial and non-commercial share-alike aren't compatible and we want to be compatible with many different licenses
  • Attrib. is better than having it as share-alike, because then our works can be compatible with all different licenses
  • Consensus reached
  • Note: everyone else is encouraged to put their sites under attribution as well, given the concerns discussed above

EU software patents

  • Next week good chance that whether or not patents will become legal will be decided
  • Do we want to sign on to this FFII petition
  • Nelson: it would be worth getting some of our interested Euro contacts to sign on, but not us as an org
  • Gavin: Doesn't matter where you're from, anyone can sign it no matter where you're from. US citizens can also sign.
  • No, US sigs won't have much sway, but it will be an effective act of solidarity
  • We should sign on as individuals and blog about it
  • <<Sarcastic banter re. patenting drop down menus, print functions, etc >>
  • Not being well versed in Euro law etc, we can't really completely get this
  • Conclusion: we're not qualified to sign on as an org

we can blog about it and note the prominent, notable people who have already signed on and also sight a few relevant points about why we support it too

  • Someone needs to blog about this ASAP
  • Problems of people not reading impt documents soon enough/at all
  • Nick suggests: prompting people to spend approx. 45 min a week or so reading though impt docs, sent out on discuss list each week.
  • Nelson: these should also be in the agenda, which people need to start reading
  • Gavin: some way to denote importance of doc/email when sending out to the discuss list? Get it in the subj line somehow?

Just say "impt"? "agenda item"? "!!!"?

  • Need to make sure that agenda is sent out to people a day or so before the meeting
  • We need some sort of automated solution that would send out agenda from wiki
  • Nicholas is looking into this.

Video for FC tour

  • Deadline was today
  • Not much finished yet
  • Maybe a good thing for clubs to work on anyway, even if not to be featured in the FC tour

Contact info stuff

Gavin and Nelson will work to update the Chapters page on the Web site

  • Existing / active chapters will be listed first, followed by "Students at the following schools are interested in forming groups..."
    • If you think you are existing / active and we have not listed you, let us know
    • The general criteria for being considered "existing / active" are something like this:
      1. You're an officially registered student organization at your school, or
      2. You actively hold events, or
      3. You have at least about 5 people actively working on starting a group.
  • We will list the name & school of anyone who ever contacted us about starting a chapter, but will not list contact info without permission
    • This means we will be emailing everyone who's ever contacted us. Maybe this "dredging the lake" will encourage people who haven't been active to get involved again.

Updating flyer on the Web site

  • Nelson will contact the NYU chapter to get a .psd / .xcf copy of their excellent flyer that can be modified for general usage to replace the flyer currently displayed in the righthand includes on the Web site
Meeting minutes and logs

2005-01-02 · 2005-01-03 · 2005-01-04 · 2005-01-06 · 2005-01-08 · 2005-01-12 · 2005-01-16 · 2005-01-19 · 2005-01-22 · 2005-01-23 · 2005-01-25 · 2005-01-26 · 2005-01-28 · 2005-01-30 · 2005-01-31 · 2005-02-02 · 2005-02-06 · 2005-02-13 · 2005-02-20 · 2005-02-27 · 2005-03-02 · 2005-03-06 · 2005-03-13 · 2005-03-16 · 2005-03-20 · 2005-03-23 · 2005-03-27 · 2005-03-30 · 2005-04-03 · 2005-04-10 · 2005-04-17 · 2005-04-24 · 2005-05-01 · 2005-05-08 · 2005-05-15 · 2005-05-22 · 2005-05-29 · 2005-06-01 · 2005-06-05 · 2005-06-06 · 2005-06-10 · 2005-06-12 · 2005-06-15 · 2005-06-15/Chatlog · 2005-06-19 · 2005-06-26 · 2005-07-03 · 2005-07-10 · 2005-07-17 · 2005-07-24 · 2005-07-31 · 2005-08-01 · 2005-08-07 · 2005-08-14 · 2005-08-17 · 2005-08-21 · 2005-08-28 · 2005-09-04 · 2005-09-11 · 2005-09-18 · 2005-09-24 · 2005-10-02 · 2005-10-09 · 2005-10-16 · 2005-10-23 · 2005-10-30 · 2005-11-06 · 2005-11-13 · 2005-11-16 · 2005-11-20 · 2005-11-27 · 2005-12-04 · 2005-12-11 · 2005-12-14 · 2005-12-18 · 2005-12-18 board meeting · 2005-12-21 · 2005-12-21 board meeting · 2005-12-23 board meeting · 2005-12-27 board meeting · 2006-01-01 · 2006-01-02 · 2006-01-07 · 2006-01-09 · 2006-01-22 · 2006-01-25 · 2006-02-12 · 2006-02-13 · 2006-03-02 · 2006-03-15 · 2006-03-22 · 2006-03-26 · 2006-03-29 · 2006-04-02 · 2006-04-09 · 2006-04-26 · 2006-05-07 · 2006-05-12 · 2006-05-14 · 2006-05-17 · 2006-08-16 · 2006-09-13 · 2006-09-17 · 2006-09-17/raw log · 2006-09-20 · 2006-09-20/raw log · 2006-09-27 · 2006-10-18 · 2006-10-18/transcript · 2006-10-25 · 2006-11-01 · 2006-11-08 · 2006-12-06 · 2006-12-06/Log · 2007-01-17 · 2007-01-21 · 2007-01-24 · 2007-02-07 · 2007-02-28 · 2007-02-28/Log · 2007-03-08 · 2007-03-21 · 2007-05-25 · 2007-06-29 · 2007-07-15 · 2007-07-15/log · 2007-07-17 · 2007-07-17/log · 2007-07-22 · 2007-07-22/log · 2007-07-29 · 2007-07-29/log · 2007-08-01 · 2007-08-05 · 2007-08-05/log · 2007-08-07 · 2007-08-07/log · 2007-08-08 · 2007-08-08/log · 2007-08-12 · 2007-08-12/log/bylaws · 2007-08-12/log/tools · 2007-08-14 · 2007-08-14/log · 2007-08-16 · 2007-08-16/log · 2007-09-03 · 2007-09-03/log · 2007-09-05 · 2007-09-05/log · 2007-09-09 · 2007-09-20 · 2007-10-07