Archive:2005-02-27

From FreeCulture.org
Jump to: navigation, search

Agenda and minutes for the Sunday, 27 Feb 2005 conference call

The agenda and minutes for other meetings are available on the Meetings page.

Agenda

Agenda by Gavin

Ideology

  • There was quite a discussion on the core list about political ideologies, etc. We should draw the lessons from that and decide on them on the call.

Manifesto

  • Free Culture Manifesto
  • "intellectual property" -> "copyright," "copyright and patent" ?
  • Elizabeth's edits: "vanish" -> "fade," "global"

Market vs. Government Solutions

  • What can we take from this discussion? How does it affect how we position ourselves in the future?

Updates

Signing on

Blogshine

Orphan works

Blogging

  • EU sw patents
  • "Eyes" updates
  • First FC Tour show
  • Has anybody contacted Colin about guest blogging? What would we want from him?

P2P@ColbyProject

  • creation of a parody page similar to DHB's iTunes iSbogus.
  • Parody of this page.
  • What are potential dangers?

Minutes

Minutes by Nick

Attendance: Gavin, Nelson, Mike, Luke, Ben Li, Nick, Andy

Ideology

Manifesto

  • Luke: We don't want to commit ourselves to being on the left or right.
  • Gavin: If we don't have a stated ideology, how do we approach problems?
    • List discussion ended up suggesting that we don't want to say we always want government solutions rather than market solutions, but don't want to completely rule out government solutions.
  • Luke: We oppose totalitarianism (oversimplification).
  • Recap of what happened on the list:
    • started with revision of manifesto (Gavin removed quotations around IP)
    • Nick wrote to the list about whether or not we want the quotations
    • Discussion of where they should fall (around property, around intellectual property). Should we just say "copyright and patent law"?
    • Do we need to explain why it's in quotes? Need to make sure we're not questioning the idea of (physical) property.
  • The Friends reference
    • There was discussion of clarifying our position of consumerism (e.g., we are against consumption to the extent that it is passive; "one-way media tube").
  • The manifesto needs to be rewritten! Gavin's updates were just supposed to fix glaring errors.
  • The website needs to be fixed!

Market vs. Government Solutions

  • Where do we look for solutions?
  • We don't want to always use one or the other.
  • "Community solutions"
    • Does this fall under market solutions?
    • Everyone on the call likes the term "community solutions"
  • Gavin: When I said "market solutions" I meant what we're now calling community solutions, not corporate solutions.
  • Still don't want to rule out all government solutions, but community solutions are preferable.

Blog posts

  • Building blocks of mission statement?
  • Blog posts about philosophy

Orphan works

  • Nelson (the PK liaison) will call PK on Monday
  • List questions to ask:
    • Gavin: Why is your site designed the way it is? Why do you use images of text? Why is it fixed width?
    • Gavin: Very little text. Need to talk about the history, how this problem came about.
    • Who's responsible for press?
  • Clean up Amanda's latest draft; Nelson will send what we have to PK tomorrow so they can collaborate.
  • Suggestions for site:
    • Talk about other solutions. How have other countries tackled this problem?
    • More info on why it's important
    • More links and reaching out to the history (Eldred). Don't want it to seem like a standalone thing.
    • Brief bio of the groups that put the site together and why they care about orphan works.
    • Need a countdown
    • Remove link to our comment site (replace with a link to FC.o)
  • What's the ALA doing about this?
  • Once Orphanworks.org reflects some of our edits (e.g., our banner is up), we should just link to it from our orphan works page.

Updates

Signing on

  • ATA -- no news; Nelson will contact them
  • Geneva Declaration: No news; are they still accepting signatures?
  • Budapest Initiative: We've signed on, waiting for official acceptance (Luke will make a follow up call)

Blogshine

  • Eric started the process with a WP install
  • Nick is trying to come up with a logo
  • Gavin is working on the text

Blogging

  • We would like Colin to blog updates about his experiences on the tour so far, and to discuss his personal convictions that motivated him to do the show.
  • Gavin will email him

P2P@Colby

  • Site should help advance the policies of the technology department and address the false information they publish against P2P systems.
    • Parody is a good idea, but maybe it would be better as a general site that address the nationwide problem of P2P restrictions.
      • It would bring a lot of attention locally, but it might not actually get changes made
    • Colby might be best served by addressing the IT department directly, and encourage them to change the policies
      • Solution should address the 'practical' block on P2P at Colby by allowing more P2P protocols to use more of the bandwidth
      • Don't 'surprise' the IT department or Administration: it comes off as being hostile towards them and can damage relations

Getting more people involved

  • We should seek more involved from UCSC, NYU
  • I talked to Aphid at UC Santa Cruz and he said that in fact noon on Sunday is too early for him, but he could make a Wednesday call at 10pm EST. Can we get together a reasonable amount of people and welcome our Santa Cruz friends this Weds to the national movement? Not everyone has to come, just everyone who's interested in the success of our Santa Cruz chapter -- Nelson
    • It's now set for 11pm EST. -- Nelson 13:54, 28 Feb 2005 (EST)
  • Nelson will fwd contact info for NYU chapter to Gavin, who will email them
Meeting minutes and logs

2005-01-02 · 2005-01-03 · 2005-01-04 · 2005-01-06 · 2005-01-08 · 2005-01-12 · 2005-01-16 · 2005-01-19 · 2005-01-22 · 2005-01-23 · 2005-01-25 · 2005-01-26 · 2005-01-28 · 2005-01-30 · 2005-01-31 · 2005-02-02 · 2005-02-06 · 2005-02-13 · 2005-02-20 · 2005-02-27 · 2005-03-02 · 2005-03-06 · 2005-03-13 · 2005-03-16 · 2005-03-20 · 2005-03-23 · 2005-03-27 · 2005-03-30 · 2005-04-03 · 2005-04-10 · 2005-04-17 · 2005-04-24 · 2005-05-01 · 2005-05-08 · 2005-05-15 · 2005-05-22 · 2005-05-29 · 2005-06-01 · 2005-06-05 · 2005-06-06 · 2005-06-10 · 2005-06-12 · 2005-06-15 · 2005-06-15/Chatlog · 2005-06-19 · 2005-06-26 · 2005-07-03 · 2005-07-10 · 2005-07-17 · 2005-07-24 · 2005-07-31 · 2005-08-01 · 2005-08-07 · 2005-08-14 · 2005-08-17 · 2005-08-21 · 2005-08-28 · 2005-09-04 · 2005-09-11 · 2005-09-18 · 2005-09-24 · 2005-10-02 · 2005-10-09 · 2005-10-16 · 2005-10-23 · 2005-10-30 · 2005-11-06 · 2005-11-13 · 2005-11-16 · 2005-11-20 · 2005-11-27 · 2005-12-04 · 2005-12-11 · 2005-12-14 · 2005-12-18 · 2005-12-18 board meeting · 2005-12-21 · 2005-12-21 board meeting · 2005-12-23 board meeting · 2005-12-27 board meeting · 2006-01-01 · 2006-01-02 · 2006-01-07 · 2006-01-09 · 2006-01-22 · 2006-01-25 · 2006-02-12 · 2006-02-13 · 2006-03-02 · 2006-03-15 · 2006-03-22 · 2006-03-26 · 2006-03-29 · 2006-04-02 · 2006-04-09 · 2006-04-26 · 2006-05-07 · 2006-05-12 · 2006-05-14 · 2006-05-17 · 2006-08-16 · 2006-09-13 · 2006-09-17 · 2006-09-17/raw log · 2006-09-20 · 2006-09-20/raw log · 2006-09-27 · 2006-10-18 · 2006-10-18/transcript · 2006-10-25 · 2006-11-01 · 2006-11-08 · 2006-12-06 · 2006-12-06/Log · 2007-01-17 · 2007-01-21 · 2007-01-24 · 2007-02-07 · 2007-02-28 · 2007-02-28/Log · 2007-03-08 · 2007-03-21 · 2007-05-25 · 2007-06-29 · 2007-07-15 · 2007-07-15/log · 2007-07-17 · 2007-07-17/log · 2007-07-22 · 2007-07-22/log · 2007-07-29 · 2007-07-29/log · 2007-08-01 · 2007-08-05 · 2007-08-05/log · 2007-08-07 · 2007-08-07/log · 2007-08-08 · 2007-08-08/log · 2007-08-12 · 2007-08-12/log/bylaws · 2007-08-12/log/tools · 2007-08-14 · 2007-08-14/log · 2007-08-16 · 2007-08-16/log · 2007-09-03 · 2007-09-03/log · 2007-09-05 · 2007-09-05/log · 2007-09-09 · 2007-09-20 · 2007-10-07