This was a Web Team meeting.
Those in attendance:
It is agreed that blog spam is a problem. It can be dealt with.
- We like the sketch of a layout - like this
- more whitespace? - maybe
- chapter sidebar, yay or nay? - yay
- about button, yay or nay? - yay
- Site does not check out on w3c validator,
- how important is this?
- tabled until graphic overhaul completed
- Bug Tracking
- Asheesh likes what lauchpad.com has to offer
- Abhay brought up dotProject, trac, collabra
- dotproject looks very nice
- Pirate Remix Contest, we need a page for this
( Please move task to "completed" once finished )
- chapters data on mudbag updated to include school website
- chapter registration form revised to read "school website" so it is more clear
- agrees to look into RSS 2.0 with enclosures
- agrees to look into Bad Behavior being installed on wordpress to deal with blog spam
- agrees to look into Pirate Contest page
- looking into bugtracker
- looking into switching hosts
- WordPress natively supports enclosures - just blog the .mp3 and it shoud "Just Work."
This page is for ideas and issues to bring up at our next meeting.
Please direct questions about the Wiki directly to our Wiki Commander
Notes from Board Liason
Past projects that we still want completed:
- Full page aggregator for all of our chapters, a la Planet Planet
- Also, a Planet-style aggregator for everyone's personal blog who is involved with FreeCulture.org, see Planet Beagle for a good example.
- And an aggregator for general free culture news, perhaps to live on FreeCulture.net?
- Enable enclosures on the main FreeCulture.org blog, start using it to podcast audio and video, with separate feeds for the audio and video categories.
- Make the chapters page prettier / more up-to-date / functional
- Add a dynamic map of our chapters, produced from the database
- User: ibm5_25:
- could this have pop-ups like Google Maps with useful info?
- User: ibm5_25:
- Install multi-user Wordpress, so that we can create blogs on demand
- Install multi-user Mediawiki, so that we can create wikis on demand
- Update the front page to look a little more like this, although perhaps without the sidebar, and obviously prettier than this hand-drawn sketch. This will require much writing of content.
Notes from Administrator
- Top Priority - the Face of Free Culture . org
- What if someone from the NY/LA Times, Washington Post, Drudge Report, [insert favorite news source here] were to come to Free Culture . org? What would they think? Would they know where to begin?
- use of bug-tracker from launchpad.net bugtracker for our web troubles - thoughts?
- not yet open source
- huge bug case numbers
- *nearly* Perfect for what we need
- In the not-so-distant future...
- Continuity of entire fc.o (wiki excluded)
- Updated Content
Web Team specific
- tidy up the URIs on the Wiki (but make sure they're backwards-compatible so that any old links still work): what if it was simply "wiki.freeculture.org/2006-03-22"?
- GNU FDL vs. Creative Commons on Wiki text (what about FC.o site itself --- is there even any licensing info on there?)
- this was on the old todo
- Stable URIs throughout the website (to prevent broken links)
- See this W3C page
- also note what they say about extensions (.php, .xhtml, etc.)
We are so productive, some questions that have been brought up have already been answered!
- In re: Spellchecking the wiki > Spell Check Plug-In for your Browser
- See Notes From The Board Liason for a summary of the old to - do list
- Site graphic overhaul in process