- 1 Agenda
- 2 Minutes
If you put your ?def into jibot, it makes introductions go a LOT faster. If you have no idea what this means, we'll explain in the meeting :)
Re-registering chapters for 08-09
In order to remain an official chapter, you have to re-register! This is extra important if your official chapter contact is graduating, we need to know how to get in touch with you.
- Explanation of how you go about re-registering.
Remind everyone about this video contest that we are co-sponsoring. Make a video demonstrating the value of information sharing, have a chance to win $1000!
Open Access Awareness Day
SPARC wants to co-sponsor an open access awareness day with us and many others in October sometime.
- What would be a good date? A couple weeks after the Berkeley conference?
- What activities / materials / media would be good for an open access awareness day?
- Sparky Awards entries are due at end of November, any way to work the Sparky Awards in?
SFC conference at UC Berkeley Oct 11-12
We're going to have a conference! What should we do there?
- network with other student groups, such as UAEM
- work on open access awareness day, Sparky Awards?
Explain what the core team is, and why people should come to its meetings.
- set up Doodle.ch poll to determine the next meeting time?
- When should our next meeting be?
- How can we get more people to meetings?
- How can we replace the "Nelson personally contacts everyone" method?
- Who wants to lead the next meeting?
It would be really nice to have SFC literature to give to our chapters. Why don't we produce some?
Anyone want to help blog on the SFC blog? Nelson or any other web team member should be able to give you blogging privileges.
- Blogging guidelines
Q & A / Open discussion
Do new chapters have any questions about starting a chapter? Do people have ideas for projects that SFC should consider supporting? Discuss those things or anything else that comes to mind!
Alex Kozak (Berkeley), Conley (VT), Ryan Hagood (Berea), Kevin Driscoll (MIT), David Riordan (Hamilton), Mark Sisley (UF), Sam (San Diego), Rich Jones (BU), Chris (Madison), Tony (Syosset HS), Nelson Pavlosky (Swat alum, GMU Law theoretically), Karen Rustad (FC5C alum), Asheesh Laroia (the Internet), Brian Rowe (Seattle University Law)
You need to re-register your chapter for this next school year. Otherwise we'll think you're defunct and remove you. :( :( :(
How to re-register
- Go to Chapters and find your chapter's page
- Click on "edit" and update the contact information for your chapter liaison (if it has changed)
- Update other chapter information (if it has changed)
- Write "Registered for the 2008-2009 school year" at the bottom of the page and sign it (type four tildes in a row to sign it automatically)
- Have some chocolate.
Entries due Nov. 30. We'll be sending postcards advertising the contest in the next SFC care package. Distribute them to video production classes and media freaks! Encourage chapter members to enter!
Open Access Awareness Day
- Cosponsoring with SPARC and PLoS--need a specific date, though! What day would work best?
- Mondays suck, and no one gets anything done on a Friday.
- Don't want it too close to the SFC conference on the 11th and 12th
- Also don't want to compete w. Halloween festivities
- How about October 21? We'll run that by SPARC and PLoS and see what they think.
- UC Berkeley, Oct. 11-12
- Want to inspire our West Coast contingent and hopefully encourage more chapters there
- Day One: General, completely public day
- 3-4 panels, several speakers (incl. Lessig!)
- ~250 ppl hopefully
- Email Alex Kozak if you have speaker recommendations
- Day Two: Small group workshops
- Focused on SFC chapters and members, though others interested can join in
- Open conference, plan workshops on a wiki?
- Want a lot of input from the board
- Third Event: Fun remix music/art event
- Pacific Film Archive
- maybe Berkeley Art Museum
- Hoping to get money to fly in int'l chapters
- Hopefully East Coasters as well
- Elizabeth is working on getting funding -- if you've got funding ideas, tell her!
- Paypal donations drive?
- Everyone should also ask schools for funding--lots will cover conference expenses
- Might charge non-students for 1st day admission
- Conference is co-sponsored by Berkeley Center for Law and Technology
- Conference will be webcasted :)
- Registration page will be up sometime, hopefully end of August
- Haven't had many meetings this summer, attendance was low
- So let's have another big meeting like this with chapter members and call it a Core Team meeting to get things rebooted
- Doodle poll potential times: 8/10, 3 PM EST; 8/10, 8 PM EST; 8/11, 10 PM EST