Just another Sunday Conference call... July 10, 2005.
Getting more people involved
How can we get more people to join the organization, with a minimum of effort?
- AIM meeting
- Easy to invite people... just invite whoever you see on your buddy list who might be interested in the movement.
- Many non-geeks already use AIM.
- Get an outreach coordinator
Getting more people doing work
How can we get more people to do things for FreeCulture.org?
- Each person should have a public to-do list on the wiki, perhaps like mine: Nelson. Advantages include:
- Other people can edit it (or at least make suggestions on your Talk page)
- It's specifically for FreeCulture.org stuff, not all your personal to-dos.
- You can track what everyone is doing through the Special:Recentchanges page
- It might get more people using the wiki, which would be a good thing
- It would get more people used to the wiki software (if you don't know how to use Mediawiki, perhaps you should look through the Wikipedia introduction)
- There should be more lists of tasks and jobs on the wiki which people can take up
- People should make a time commitment, perhaps starting with one hour a week and working their way up. I'm going to start with a commitment of two hours a day, and work my way up from there, but other people don't have to follow my possibly extreme example. -- Nelson 16:22, 10 Jul 2005 (EDT)
- Elizabeth and Fred have submitted the abstract along with a bunch of media for inclusion on their CD.
- We're in the process of researching Hotels/Airfare. Looks like either the Boardwalk or Hard Rock Cafe
- Going to start work on actual lecture this week.
- Fred is going to order shirts tomorrow at CC with money raised from HBTY funraiser: http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/happybirthday/
- 200 Shirts, CC might pick up the entire tab even if our money runs a bit short. Fred will talk with Fran @ CC tomorrow.
- Speak now or forever hold your peace regarding the design.
Gavin is in Canada this week meeting with FC-related people.
- Matt Lee is the new webmaster. Hi Matt!
- Web site is using plone for static pages
- Matt welcomes you to add TODO items to his user page
- Blog aggregator created
- Met Andy in Canada, who is interested in a Canadian FC organization
- Issues: Could kill FC name with actions
- We can treat intl orgs at the moment like we do locals: mostly independent
- international groups: message should be same across borders, even if activities are otherwise independent
- Legally independent as local groups are currently
- list of things we care about and don't care about
Getting more people involved
- hey, we need to expand
- AIM meeting to bring in more people
- Nelson reports success with a Swarthmore AIM meeting for brainstorming
- ours is at Wednesday 10pm EDT by the way
- (welcome Melody)
- create global task lists, TODO lists on user pages for each person
- cross out instead of deleting from TODO (<strike>like this</strike>)
- "Office hours": everyone working on it at the same time
- last time, everyone ended up chatting on IRC instead
- blog team to keep things happening on the blog
- Matt volunteers
- should be more of a commentary blog than the announcement blog it is now
- many people have taken a job because they were asked
- create more team leaders
(I cut out here)
Email nomenclature, blog
- forward cron output to Matt, make freedom a separate account
- everyone on core should have a blog
- maybe blog team leader should be separate from web, but it is Matt for the moment
- design by committee is too hard
- on the back: bad because of hair
- on the sleeve: maybe too small
- current design graphics looks good
- 3 colors means more expense (+3/shirt perhaps)
- Fred and Elizabeth will confer on the design
- (Fred made some open-source beer, and Nelson thinks we should sell it as a fundraiser)
- should have FreeCulture.org on the front
- FC.o-specific design
- Why the people there should get more involved with copyright/patent issues
- going to be self-promoting around the conference