This page will become more updated when Gavin Baker sends out an email with his ideas on pro/con toward the end of 2007-07-17.
We were once registered as an incorporated entity in Florida. We are no longer because we let it lapse.
Reasons we'd want to incorporate:
- To support a paid staff
- We can eventually become a 501(c)3 and accept donations from people to whom tax-deductibility is important
- We can join iCommons if we become a 501(c)3
- Many more grants are open to 501(c)3s
- it increases our creditability as an orginization
- We have to pay a $XXX fee in Mass, or a $YYY fee in Calif., or a $ZZZ fee in New York
- We could get audited if we have more than $2M in CA or
- We have to pay the IRS $X in 501(c)3 filing fees
- Plus about $1500 in legal fees or find a pro-bono lawyer