Another conference call for those starting a Free Culture chapter.
17 August 2005, 10 p.m. EST
Anthony, Sarah from CCA, Thessaly La Force from Columbia, Gavin, Nelson, Andy Scudder, and Julian at UCR
- Thessaly is a Senior at Columbia
- Met Nelson through Fred
- Sarah Romac is 1st year grad student at CCA
- Has been aware of copyright and the arts, read Lessig's book, and is interested in starting a Free Culture chapter. (Might be interested in one of our guest posts on Lessig's blog)
- Julian is a student at the University of California Riverside
- Got to know Lessig and his ideas, is interested in starting a chapter/donating some time for the org.
- Anthony is a freshman at the University of Alaska Fairbanks
- Got involved in Linux, open source and free software, and then found out about Lessig's Free Culture and found the org.
- Question: what was the best way to get new people to join your group?
- Gavin Baker at U Florida
- Got interested in Free Culture around the whole Dmitry Sklyarov, got interested in the conflict of rights with technology which lead to Free Culture and the org
- Eldo is at U Florida as well
- Heard about Free Culture on boingboing with the Diebold case and was contacted by Gavin last fall about starting a group
- Nelson is a Sophmore at Swarthmore
- Got interested in Linux and open source software, saw Lessig's presentation on Free Culture, and founded the SCDC which became Free Culture.org