Board/core meeting about organizing the nat'l org.
Open access project
- can we sponsor the US petition? This requires an immediate reply.
State of the org
- Finances - $2,962.60 total cash. 62 t-shirts left.
- Chapters - The numbers on our Chapters page probably don't reflect our actual number of chapters. Many of our small chapters are struggling or have given up. There are also some new chapters who we didn't successfully bring into the fold (nobody responded to their e-mails, etc.). These may or may not be salvageable. We need to do things to help our chapters get organized / rolling and kickstart the org.
- Are they done? If not, what changes need to be made?
- Once completed, we must ratify them with the chapters.
- This may require forcing the chapters to re-register again so that we know who is active enough to vote.
- We should have a chapters meeting for people to vote at, and any chapters that can't attend that meeting can just e-mail in their votes I suppose.
- Once the bylaws are ratified, we should hold elections for all of the Board positions.
Funding / 501(c)3
FSF said they would be fine with helping us towards 501(c)3 if key people like Fred and Elizabeth still want that to happen. It is clear that getting on the road to 501(c)3 or finding a fiscal sponsor would aid the organization in innumerable ways, e.g.:
- 501(c)3 status would help local chapters who need a 501(c)3 non-profit to receive grants for them, e.g. Reed.
- 501(c)3 would help us raise money for the national org, enabling us to:
- Fund worthwhile local projects, including national or regional conferences
- Hire an employee or two to do busywork and carry on the day-to-day operations of the org
- Help Asheesh make our webspace rock by chipping in on bandwidth etc.
- Produce FC schwag e.g. t-shirts, stickers, pamphlets
If we are all agreed upon moving forward with 501(c)3, then our next steps are:
- Pass the bylaws
- Ping the FSF, PK, CC and other friendly organizations for help
- Karen will talk to numist about a booth / BOF session at http://fosscon.org/ Sept 22-23 in San Diego
- UF wants to get their Open Art show up in Second Life, on CC's island next to the existing art show display. UF should talk to CC people and Erin at Emerson about getting FC.o's Second Life presence running.
- If you use calendar software for your personal schedule, please upload it to FC.o to make it easier to schedule meetings.