Archive:Open University Campaign
The Wheeler Declaration
An open university is one in which
- The research the university produces is open access.
- The course materials are open educational resources.
- The university embraces free software and open standards.
- If the university holds patents, it readily licenses them for free software, essential medicines, and the public good.
- The university network reflects the open nature of the internet.
where "university" includes all parts of the community: students, faculty, administration.
Steps in an Open University Campaign
- Define best practices for each criteria
- Research universities' statuses
- Educate and help universities to move towards openness
- Grade universities
The universities which will be ranked/graded in time will be the ones that have SFC chapters (for the vast majority). As such, will we be enemies of the universities? Will they be supportive of our goals if they are getting Cs, Ds and Fs? --This could be solved through bronze, silver and gold stars for each criteria... less adversarial.
Yes, it (and derivatives) are trademarked, but I think our designation/campaign might be legal because the specifications of the trademarks seem to be fairly limited to things besides a political campaign. Here's the Trademark Search(broken link). Or we could consider other branding: "Free Culture Accredited University" or something else.