Here's a list of tasks for the Web Team. If you don't like my naming convention in making this page, well, one of the points below is to establish style guidelines for the wiki. So there.
Please add stuff below.
Web Team members: please move things to your own to-do lists prior to working on a task.
Chapter registration form
- Automatic subscription to Chapters list
- Add check box or drop-down menu to subscribe to Discuss list under field for e-mail address
- Add text above form fields (below "Register Your Chapter With FreeCulture.Org"):
Use this form to register a new Free Culture chapter with FreeCulture.org. (We promise we'll only use your information for internal purposes.)
By filling out this form, you will be subscribed to the Chapters mailing list. The chapters list is specifically for chapter leaders to discuss amongst each other, ask questions, etc.
You may also subscribe to Discuss, a list for discussion among the general public, by checking the appropriate box below.
- Add headers to form
- before "Contact Name," add the header Primary Contact Information
- before "Chapter Name," add the header Chapter Information
- before "We need FreeCulture.org T-Shirts," add the header Materials
- Use CC license on wiki instead of GFDL
- Enable upload on wiki
- Allow uploads of all FC.o-recommended filetypes
- Write style guidelines
- Write naming conventions
- Make the wiki nicer and more useful
- Improve special pages
- Purge, merge, and wash: Delete stuff, clean things up, get organized
- Special:Shortpages - the shortest pages on the wiki. Excellent candidates for having their content moved to another page or being deleted.
- Special:Lonelypages - pages which are not linked to from any other page.
- Special:Deadendpages - pages which do not link to any other page.
- Special:Ancientpages - the oldest pages. May be outdated.
- Special:Wantedpages - pages that do not exist, but are linked to from other pages.
- Special:Categories - all categories. We should use categories more, and better.
- There are no XL size shirts, so please remove that option
- There's no way to pay for international shipping; please add a button for international orders that charges $27 instead of $20
- It'd be nice if the site wasn't so "lo-tech", e.g. more integrated with the rest of the site.
- Make it work
- Display small graphic for each blog (e.g. photo of author)
- Display first name, school of each blog
- Display small graphic per category (a la Slashdot)
- Install CVS / Subversion.
- J.C.: Install CVS and enforce the use of CVS for all website changes. The intention here is to make sure that we never lose data, and add accountability for website updates. I think the site is just large enough to benefit significantly by this approach. Using a version control system for the web pages adds overhead to designers, but there's no more worry about clobbering a whole host of work on accident through a erroneous install and having to manually restore the site, or simple human error with breaking a script.
- Abhay: Subversion. My version system of choice.